Welcome!

Linda JeffersIn a world of so many great photographers and writers, I am venturing into some unknown territories, leaving comfort zones, finally very willing to practice the art of seeing. By maintaining the practice of posting daily photos, I hope to continue learning about the possibilities that I trust are out there for the taking.

Come join me on my journey!

Route 66 Road Trip with Keith Skelton’s Workshop.

April 7 – 10th, 2016

Victorville, CA to Holbrook, AZ.

I had signed up for this workshop with Keith Skelton before I knew I’d be having a left hip replacement (2/23/16). I knew going on this workshop was probably not good for my rehab but emotionally wanted to go and did. I paid the price seated in the car for 10 hours sometimes. I drove in my own car in case I had to turn back home.

Walking to what I would have liked to photograph with the others when we stopped ended up being very painful. I’d drive up close to what I wanted to shoot eventually and photographed subjects from my car. Unfortunately I only brought my Leica with a 28 mm lens since I figured the 5d Mark III fitted with longer lenses would be too heavy for my hip replacement leg to endure.

I am glad I went on this trip even with all the pain I experienced. I met some wonderful people, enjoyed being with my friend JJ (Jim Keener), and always enjoy being around Keith. He is a great workshop leader.

And……here are some of the photos I shot.

L1003869.jpg

L000579-Edit.jpg

L000561.jpg

C3A8865-Edit.jpg

L1004241.jpg

C3A8813.jpg

C3A8713-Edit.jpg

C3A8789.jpg

L1004208.jpg

L1004179.jpg

C3A8761.jpg

C3A8750.jpg

C3A8744.jpg

C3A8713.jpg

Can you see the lightening?

Train_C3A8692.jpg

While waiting for the other attendees to finish shooting I sat in my car practicing focusing on the rain on the window with the intent of showing a blurred distant landscape in the background. Low and behold a train came by with me ready with the settings I wanted. Bingo!!! This is my fav!

C3A8681-Edit.jpg

C3A8680.jpg

C3A8603-Edit.jpg

C3A8600.jpg

C3A8572.jpg

C3A8498.jpg

Keith is a foodie, as am I. He always knows the best places to eat.

C3A8494-Edit.jpg

Breakfast_C3A8493.jpg

See Jim seated at a table?

L1003940.jpg

L1003940.jpg L1003971-Edit-2.jpg

L1003961.jpg

L1003919.jpg

L1003889.jpg

L1003930.jpg

L1003887.jpg

L1003760.jpg

C3A8586.jpg

L1003740.jpg

WordPressStumbleUponRedditEmailPrintShare

16 Responses to “Route 66 Road Trip with Keith Skelton’s Workshop.”

1. Jim Keener says:

So much fun!

Vision and imagination; art and craft. I think you used the limitations as artistic tools, rather than roadblocks. It looks that way. About your rain on the window with train shot: “Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter.” – Ansel Adams

I was excited to see on Facebook that you had posted your images. And you didn’t let me down. In so many of these, I was in the same place, but just didn’t see.

I’ll be back here from time-to-time.

Love,

• Wow, what a nice comment (as usual). I like your Ansel Adams quote. Thanks for convincing me to post my photos here on the blog. You motivate me!
      I feel the same way when I see others’ photos….I was in the same place as they were and didn’t see what they saw. Oh well.
      Thanks my friend.
      xoxo

2. April says:

Great shots!! Those were some long hard days. I admire you for not giving up.
    Good job Linda!

• Thanks April. Did those days feel long and hard for you?

• April says:

Absolutely! I have a bad back and bad feet. By the end of the workshops I am so tired. Then the editing begins…and the pain continues. But I love it and appreciate all the hard work we put into getting our images.
        I just can’t believe you did it so quickly after your surgery. I admire your will to push through the pain. You could barely walk at the end of the day and you kept pushing on. You got some great shots from your car. Working with a disability, whatever it is, forces you to think outside your box. You did a great job. You don’t let a little thing like severe pain slow you down…lol.

• Thanks for sharing that it was hard for you too.

And….thanks for being my model. I have you in so many of my shots. I usually find I like photos that have someone in them so you were a big help to me!!!

xoxo Linda

3. Ray Jeffers says:

I like the route 66 photo collection.

4. Pat Yeo says:

Love these. My very favorite is,the third one down. . . With the windmill.

5. Hadley Johnson says:

Even under difficult situations, beautiful art can be produced. Nicely done.

• Hadley, Thank you for your comment. What you wrote REALLY means a lot to me….especially coming from you!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and check out my blog.

Looks like you had a great time with Keith last week. Envious.

Linda

6. Jim Keener says:

Just stopped by to visit these again. So much fun to see the spinning windmill and bottles. What an unlikely combination.

I like what that lens does and what you do with it.

Love,

7. I have noticed on FB that the surgery went well. I wish you all the best with the recovery! Amazing photos by the way in this post.

8. Jim Keener says:

Wow. The professional’s response.

9. Hi Linda —
    We’ve never met (other than through Keith’s FB group), but I just wanted you to know how impressed I am by your Route 66 photos. If I didn’t know the backstory, I would think just as highly of these. As someone with occasional mobility issues, it’s inspiring to see what you’ve accomplished. Hope to see you on a future trip.

–jk