Welcome!

Linda JeffersIn a world of so many great photographers and writers, I am venturing into some unknown territories, leaving comfort zones, finally very willing to practice the art of seeing. By maintaining the practice of posting daily photos, I hope to continue learning about the possibilities that I trust are out there for the taking.

Come join me on my journey!

Three Days Backpacking The PCT.

I am just back from having a hard but fun backpack with Melissa and Jen. Ray drove us up to the PCT trailhead on Hwy 74 Thursday late afternoon. We hiked in 2.5 miles and camped.

The next morning we began the first of 3 days of non-trained backpacker hiking (meaning we only did 12+ miles each day). Every year I wonder if this is the year I won’t be able to backpack anymore. Usually I am trained when I think/say this to myself and anyone else who will listen. But for this backpack, I wasn’t trained. And I worried. I’ll never be able to do the longer mileage I used to backpack but I found out I can still carry a heavy backpack on some pretty tough trail.

Thanks to Jen and Melissa for getting me out “there”. Hope you enjoy a few of the photos I shot. I still haven’t uploaded the second card.

L-R Jen’s pack, Melissa’s and my pack.

Camera self timers and fill in on camera flash allowed us to get our only group photo.

Our sunset the second night out at Fobes Saddle.

Melissa found this boulder and knew it would make for a good morning shadow shot.

Hiking up the trail from our camp at Fobes Saddle we stopped often to shoot the rising sun.

All backpackers know how hard a backpack it is heading north from Fobes Saddle. I have backpacked the San Jacinto range a number of times. I forgot I said I’d never do the SJ’s again. This second full day of backpacking was brutal and had it not been for some cloud cover throughout the day we would have had a real problem with the heat. Thanks Jen for taking this shot of me pretending to be doing great:-)

Jen and Melissa taking in the view while taking some breaths without walking.

The footing on tiny trail tread makes us pay lots of attention. None of us fell, which for me is a first. I always have some miss step take me down.

I believe this photo was taken as we were passing Apache Peak.

This morning while backpacking the 1000 foot climb from Saddle Junction, we found ways to take the ascent easy. Jen was willing to indulge me in some morning shots.

14 Responses to “Three Days Backpacking The PCT.”

1. Katy says:

Linda,
    Love the pictures! Looks like there were some nice flowers, too. Glad you got out there!
    Katy

• Linda Jeffers says:

There were some nice flowers, but no water for the most part. We hiked up two different water caches…..Fobes Saddle and up to Saddle Junction.
      I wish I had a lens that can shoot macro as the flowers were really pretty surprisingly this late in season.

2. Stacy Jacob says:

Great photos Linda! Sounds like a challenge but I’m happy to hear you had fun and came back in one piece. I would have taken that rock ledge sliding on my butt! Awesome to see the wildflowers and you three among them.

• Linda Jeffers says:

I think it’s time I got your little camera or the Fujifilm, X Pro 1 as I would have loved to gotten some macro shots but couldn’t with the, HEAVY, lens I had. I could have really lightened my load with a small camera. Carried, but never used, an off camera flash, cable and more!

3. Ange says:

WOW! gorgeous! Linda, before you decide not to backpack anymore, I really want to do a trip with you and the girls!! Yes, I loved the flowers too and surprised how spring-like it looked up there. The tiny trail head looks scary!!
    Love these!
    Love you!

• Linda Jeffers says:

Yes Ange, I definitely think we should plan a backpack on the PCT for all who are willing to train and plan for it. I’d love seeing you out “there”.

4. Just Kidding says:

Awesome photos Linda. I am so appreciative of the spectacular photos that you take the time to produce. Such an adventure….we kicked some booty! Blood, sweat and tears!

• Linda Jeffers says:

Woke up at 6am this morning after 8 hours of sleep (I haven’t had in ages) and feel totally out of it. Had a great time with you and Jen and miss the trail already.

5. Susan Lowery says:

You are my role model and hero Linda.
    You get out there, period.
    I love it.

• Linda Jeffers says:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Susan. I wanna get “out there” always, it’s just this damn aging thing that seems to take its toll at times (or at least the fear of the aging thing seems to play havoc lately more often:-).

6. Debbie Acosta says:

You are amazing! Looks like you guys had a great experience. Love the pictures

• Linda Jeffers says:

It’s funny that you say we are amazing as many times during this strenuous hike we boasted about how “we rock”! We would say that because it was so hard and couldn’t believe (even not that trained) we could do the hard high altitude backpacking on San Jacinto.
      So yes, I must be amazing that this achy body can still get me up the mountains:-)
      Thanks for taking the time to comment Deb. Miss you. xxoo

7. susan says:

Love the photos and to see how much fun and hard work your putting in !

• Linda Jeffers says:

Susan…..you mean hard work I’m putting in backpacking the San Jacinto Range relatively untrained:-) or work with my photography? Thanks for stopping by.